mardi 21 février 2012

What the hell does that name mean?!

Just a short post to keep the ball rolling... Was out skiing in Quebec, Sunday, and ended up nicely dehydrated, and yesterday I was finishing a project (the Panic mode one--more on that later)

Most of the people reading this are my friends (good lord, I hope that plural is correct!), and by extension, are for the most part Hungarian. so the first part needs no explanation. But there are some who don't speak (or read) Hungarian, so an explanation of the name is in order (as is a pronunciation guide). 'Gyurika', is first and foremost, a diminutive of a diminutive of 'George' (or 'Georges', in this case). So it's like saying "little Georgie". It's a name that's stuck with me, so, yes, I have assumed its use, and promote it (mainly with the scouts, where it's probably one of the names I'm most recognized by, and gives me an easy means of differentiating between the multitude of Georges that are in the association...) It also wasn't only the Hungarians that used it, but also my extended (French-Canadian) family, as well as the kids on the street where I grew up. And each altered its pronunciation to suit its abilities... While it's pronounced something close to "Dyooreeka" (it's always fun to attempt transcriptions of Hungarian into English, especially without using IPA...), my family would pronounce it "Zhurika", and the kids would call me "Julika". So yeah, Gyurika is a name I use, and am known by...

As for the scribbles? It's multifaceted... On one side, it refers to what these posts are... They're at their simplest me scribbling down my thoughts on calligraphy, and more precisely my projects. On another hand, it's my response to peoples' reaction to my work (did that make sense?) Other see the end product, and they tend to react with "wow! That's impressive! What an artist!" My response is generally "I'm not an artist. I just scribble." There's so much I haven't mastered in either the graphic aspects, or the calligraphic aspects, that to call myself an artist would be preposterous. Picasso was an artist. Donald Jackson is an artist (he's Her Majesty's calligrapher). Hell, Jackson Pollock was an artist! I'm very, very, far from that.

I just scribble.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire